Saturday, December 7, 2013

Geeking Out

This week has been very Resolve-centric. In a GOOD way. On Tuesday night, I met with the current AZ affiliate chair and two representatives from the professional community to discuss the Walk of Hope. I was just amazed at how well she knows these folks and is so in tune with the goings-on of the community. I feel like such a newbie to volunteering, but I know that will go away in time as I hit my stride. It was just really interesting to hear the comments and concerns of the local professionals. As a no-longer-patient, I feel like I'm in a good place to hear what are sometimes contrasting views and bring my ideas to the table. I think we stand to forge great relationships with the nursing staff, and I'm excited to explore that.

On Thursday, I had my kick-off meeting with the folks at corporate and my co-chair to discuss sponsorships and volunteer needs. The development manager is new since the 2013 Walk, and I think she's bringing in some really great ideas to bring the community together - there has been some perceived alienation of the adoption professionals in the past and we all agree that a goal this year is to create a "one community" feel. I think a lot of what she's suggesting will work towards that. Again, I felt like an ultra-newb, but it lit my fire to learn all I can so I can be just as knowledgeable as soon as possible. And I'm going to need it, as I've been tasked with handling the professional sponsorships.

Yesterday, I met with a local student business organization who has agreed to help us with developing a marketing plan for the Walk. What's really interesting is that they go to a relatively conservative school, and there were quite a few questions about ART. Understandably, none of them have heard of us - why would they? Most college students are trying to AVOID pregnancy, and with a conservative student population, I imagine that many of them are not even worried about that. So it felt like good practice for me to talk about what I know and give them a top-level understanding of what Resolve aims to do and how it serves it market from the perspectives of support, legislation, and education. I'm really excited to see what they come up with and how they propose we reach parts of our community that weren't well represented at last year's Walk of Hope. We have a goal of signing up 400 walkers (up from 250-ish from last year) to honor Resolve's 40th anniversary, and I think a marketing plan could be an amazing tool to get us there.

I feel like I have a to-do list a mile long, but I'm really excited. I think this is a really good fit for me, even though there's a lot I have to learn. Everyone starts somewhere, right?

No comments: